Maclagan’s 1872 paper identifies a broch/dun at Livilands, Stirling and states:
‘there has stood another of the round houses, which seems to have had three circular walls with probably 20 feet of space between each of them. The stones of these walls are all gone, but the mark where their foundations had been is sufficiently distinct. The area of the central chamber had apparently been about 50 feet in diameter. It is situated on a part of that terrace or ancient sea-beach which is found around almost the whole valley of the Forth, and on which elevation many of those round houses are built. Its height is about 40 feet.’
There are, however, two Livilands in Stirling: Easter and Wester. It has long been thought that Easter Livilands was the most likely location of the broch and as no trace was observed in the 1950s, it was thought destroyed. However, the discovery of an unfinished rotary quern (a prehistoric stone tool for grinding grain) in the grounds of Wester Livilands suggests the western of the two estates may be the most likely location.
In addition, a review of the historic mapping indicates that Wester Livilands had a designed landscape comprising two circular banks that resemble ramparts. A site inspection identified the presence of substantial horizontal masonry… is this Maclagan’s broch?